Saturday, August 23, 2008

What Do You Think?

Benson has one more year left at home before he starts Kindergarten, but... all of his friends in his preschool class, some up to two months younger than him, just started Kindergarten this year.... that means they are 4 YEARS OLD! I know a lot of the moms did it because it is cheaper than KinderCare (the preschool/daycare), but still I could not imagine Benson in school yet.
Now don't get me wrong, to me Benson is BRILLIANT. That boy is AMAZING at puzzles and his mind works like any great rocket scientist. He can take apart anything and put it back together, he knows his abc's and 123's, and has even learned about "street smarts" from some of his friends at school. So just like every other mom I think my child is going to be at the top of his class :). Still though HE IS FOUR.
Now my Sister in Law CASEY has Carter (who just turned 6) and he JUST started Kindergarten. Casey said he came home and said he was one of the oldest kids in his class. WOW! He just turned 6 and is one of the oldest.... I thought that is how old you were in Kindergarten.
Well Benson will go next year and turn 6 in September. I think at this rate he may be older than everyone in his class by a year. YOWZERS! Well at least he will be the cool kid with his license a year before everyone else.
So what do you think? Any thoughts? Are parents starting kids too early? Or am I just freaking out that there are children that are 4 years old in school already?

4 comments:

Georgia said...

I put Kayden in a year early, he was four till the end of November.

For HIM it was the right decision, he was not in any kind of childcare or anything, but he really really thrives with the social interaction... and I could only do so much with the 2 babies. He was not getting enough at home with just me, he needed what school could offer. So it worked out really well.

My friend has a son that Kayden grew up with, he is 2 months older than Kayden and did not start school till the year after.

I think it is a personal decision. It boils down to what is right for you and Benson.

PLUS, you will be able to stay home with him for most of the rest of this year before he starts school, so that will be really great for both of you!!!

xoxo

Verlee said...

Elijah turned 6 right when he started kindergarten. His birthday was a day after the deadline. I could have had him tested, but have heard a lot of teachers say they appreciate boys being older....maturity and all. He is one of the oldest in his class, but does well...soo....I think sometimes parents try to grow their kids up too fast. BUT, I also know it must depend on where you live, because in our school now, it is next to impossible to start kids before 5. My friends daughter already reads, and they won't let her start early. BUT, I have seen a few kids advance up a grade later in their careers.

Wendy said...

I just talked to a friend who is a teacher about this and she said that it is usually a good idea to start them at the older age. She said even though they are really smart kids, sometimes they aren't ready socially.

ღ Brandyღ said...

I started school when I was four because I was able to test in. However, so did about ten other kids in my class, and ALL of us were held back a year! So, a lot of my graduating class in Cambridge had started out in Kindergarten twice. The teacher was the one that recommended that we actually go through another year. Not because we weren't smart enough, just because it was socially and physically draining for us. So, I say when you are ready you will know. My Mom always says that she had wished she listened to her own instincts instead of the peoples that were testing all of us four year olds. And, I am with Georgia, you do get to be a stay at home Mommy finally! Why not take advantage!