My Grandfather passed away this past week (the 26th) and it has been very hard on me. I am so thankful though for the plan of salvation and that I know one day I will be able to see him again. I firmly believe that when our Father in Heaven calls us home it is because he needs us more at his home then loved ones need us here.
I have so many great memories of him that I am so thankful for. Really, he was the only grandparent I ever knew, or had any type of relationship with. So I held and will always hold him close to me.
He was such a jokester! I still remember the first jokes I ever learned and then told myself were from Grandpa Ralph. He loved to laugh and he loved to make us laugh. My grandma died almost 20 years ago and even though my Grandpa was a flirt, he never strayed from the love he had for her. I remember when I was little always thinking that when I get married I want to have a love as pure as my Grandpa had for my Grandma. It was so nice to see love that lasted even though the other one was already gone. From the time I was little he would have me sit on his lap and watch sport games with him. I still remember spending hours when I was very young just sitting and watching football and golf with him. Even though I was never too big on sitting and watching any sport, I just loved to sit on him and cuddle with him and take the love that I felt from him in. He always smelled like listerine, and I remember him girgiling with that stuff ALL THE TIME. I think that is why now I won't use any other mouthwash. There are so many more memories that I have formed with him in my life, but I would write a novel I am sure of it!
The dearest memory of all though is I got to talk to him last Thursday. I called my mom (who had flown home to Idaho to be with him) and asked her to please call me when he was well enough to talk, she promised she would and five minuets later he woke up and was talking. My mom called me and I was able to have one last conversation with him! Even though his speech was a bit slurred he was still joking, he was still my Grandpa and he was still the person I grew to see not only as my grandfather, but in many was a father. It was so wonderful to be able to tell him I loved him and just thank him for the person he was in my life. To hear him tell me he loved me one more time was beyond words.
I am heart broken I will not be able to go to Idaho for the funneral, it is hard because I am the only one in my family not able to go... but it does not mean that my heart and mind will not be there.
Goodbye for now to a wonderful Grandparent who ALWAYS made me feel like I was a wonderful child of my Heavenly Father.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Oh Lacy I am so sorry for you loss. I know how important Grandpa's are. I am glad that you were able to talk to him before he passed.
I wish i was able to go to. CHandler said the service was great. I remember the first time i met grandpa ralph. chandler and i were dating and we went over to his apartment. He opened the door combing his bald head with the switch blade chan had bought him a long time ago. he was always funny! i will miss him!
Very nicely written. It was a great service. Too bad we couldn't have taped it. We missed you!
Those are amazing memories. I'm sure he knows how much you love him. That's nice that you were able to talk to him and receive some closure. Grandparents are the best! That's so wonderful that he was able to show you the kind of love to look forward to later in life...and now you've found it:)
This is beautiful Lacy. What a treasured memory you have already written down for your history. I love you, Mom
Post a Comment